.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mutualist Blog: Free Market Anti-Capitalism

To dissolve, submerge, and cause to disappear the political or governmental system in the economic system by reducing, simplifying, decentralizing and suppressing, one after another, all the wheels of this great machine, which is called the Government or the State. --Proudhon, General Idea of the Revolution

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northwest Arkansas, United States

Monday, September 14, 2009

The Bad News First

The bad news is, I've requested that Booksurge take down the page for Organization Theory at Amazon temporarily, and that Abe Books do likewise, pending resolution of a copyright claim involving the cover image. Until they do take the images down, please do not order the paper version of the book. I'm trying to resolve this without any litigation, and copyright infringement damages can amount to a pretty big chunk of change.

I hope the copyright owner agrees to a settlement that will let me keep using the image for a sum I can afford, because from the minute I first saw that picture I thought it embodied everything I had to say about management and bureaucratic irrationality in my book. But if no arrangement can be made, I will republish it with a different cover.

The good news is, I'm offering the pdf of the text (which does not include the cover design at issue) for $10 here. Everything I write is in the public domain (under the well-known Woody Guthrie Public License), and can be reproduced without limit, including for commercial purposes--although I'd appreciate the courtesy of attribution. If you want to email it as an attachment to all your friends, or can afford to print it out and bind it cheaper than my dead-tree price, whatever--more power to you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous rj said...

The irony.

Who owns the copyright?

September 14, 2009 2:05 AM  
Blogger Kevin Carson said...

I'll have more info in a subsequent post.

September 14, 2009 10:46 AM  
Blogger Ben Arzate said...

Funny, I've seen that image floating around the internet for awhile and I always assumed it was probably public domain.

September 14, 2009 5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home