.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mutualist Blog: Free Market Anti-Capitalism

To dissolve, submerge, and cause to disappear the political or governmental system in the economic system by reducing, simplifying, decentralizing and suppressing, one after another, all the wheels of this great machine, which is called the Government or the State. --Proudhon, General Idea of the Revolution

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northwest Arkansas, United States

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Cutting Back

Just a heads-up to let you folks know I'll be cutting things back a bit. I enjoy the contest of ideas in the blogosphere and the many interesting discussion/debates I've got into on various email lists. But trying to follow all the good stuff on the web, and post at least once a day, and keep up with all the discussion, is bringing me to the point of communications overload. I find that I'm starting to look at going online like punching a clock, and all my commitments are beginning to seem like a full-time job that leaves less and less time for long-term research work.

I couldn't go as far as Claire Wolfe originally intended with unplugging from the web. But I do plan to cut my posting down to an average of one to three posts a week--at least when I run some stuff that's already almost in final form. And on the email lists I belong to, I'll probably be doing a lot less debating and a lot more lurking.

But anyway, I'm not stopping--just slowing down. And I appreciate all of you who have taken the time to read my material and maybe leave a comment. I've sharpened my teeth in some very challenging debates in the comment threads here. I hope everyone who's found the writing here useful will continue to stop by, even if the output is reduced.

The posting here will tend to be longer, article-length pieces, more of them focused on my research in the anarchist theory of organizational behavior. There will be less posting centered on commentary on other people's posts. I don't, by any means, want to stop pointing out all the good material out there--especially in the area of cooperative economics and alternative social institutions. But I'll probably condense such links into a single weekly index post, with only brief descriptions--something like Ender's Review, or Dave Pollard's saturday links post.

And in the next few weeks, I'll try to reorganize the information already stored on this blog into a more useable form: especially aggregating favorite posts and links on the sidebar into a shorter list of subject headings.

Anyway, thanks again to all.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll all certainly miss the shrewd commentary from everyone's favorite lying, thieving mutualist. What will Reisman do without someone to pick on I wonder...

August 12, 2006 1:16 AM  
Blogger Kevin Carson said...

He'll probably do a lot better if I spend less time rebutting him.

August 12, 2006 1:25 AM  
Blogger Moonbootica said...

I really have enjoyed reading your blog, my brother introduced me to the whole concept of mutualism and recommended I check out this blog, certainly given a new perspective on things for me at least.

I wish you the very best :)

August 12, 2006 6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you recognized the need for some change before just burning out, Kevin. I'll look forward to whatever you have to post, whenever you have it to post. Best wishes on renewing and focusing - here's for joy in the discovering and sharing.

August 12, 2006 6:25 AM  
Blogger Ricketson said...

What a coincidence. Just the other day, I was wondering "How can Kevin keep this up?"

I've been finding that I spending too much time online discussions also. It'll be easier for me to cut back if you're cutting back at the same time....It'll remove a major temptation from my life. :^)

August 12, 2006 6:39 AM  
Blogger Larry Gambone said...

I find it enough to do one blog posting a week on average, put together Any Time Now Zine, read Antiwar.com and Counterpunch daily, work in my garden, eat etc. I have wondered how you did it. Wise decision Kevin, don't want you dissappearing on us like Claire did!

August 12, 2006 7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Burnout is a real bitch. I gladly support your decision to do what's best for you.

August 12, 2006 1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely better to simmer down than to burn out!

Personally, I very much appreciate your modern day approach and critique to anarchist organization and economic models - definitely a more valuable use of your talents than ephemeral debates on the internet. It's crucial that people have something current to read, rather being resigned to stuff 100+ years old ( still good stuff don't get me wrong! but the times change and anarchist theory, of all things, shouldn't atrophy into a static figment of the past ).

I very much look forward to your next major endeavor(s)! Mutualist Political Economy has been my favorite read since Tucker's Instead of a Book - your research, efforts, and work is highly appreciated!

Beers!

August 12, 2006 1:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kevin,

It's ironic that you are slowing down when I am getting ready to start again.

I understand about burnout. I have to keep myself from getting drowned in the flood of information that the internet offers.

I look forward to reading your new research on anarchist organazitional behavior. I am working on some writing in that area myself geared toward non-anarchist audiences and may draw on you as a source. Watch my blog for details. I'll post on this over the weekend.

August 12, 2006 2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is actually good. Now, I'll have time to read and, reflect upon your stuff. For awhile, you had dozens of posts all the time and, I missed lot's of it.
I would be disappointed if you shute the site down.

Thanks.

Mike West

August 13, 2006 9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometime it's when you walk away from a subject that new inspirations form.

Good luck on the research and I'll still look for new posts.

August 14, 2006 2:52 PM  
Blogger Kevin Carson said...

Many thanks for all the kind wishes.

Moonbootica, I'll still be posting: a lot less quantity and a little more quality is the plan, although whether it works out that way remains to be seen.

Adam,

I think the next step is working up an inventory, or making amends, or something. I just hope I don't wander into a meeting of Rage-aholics Anonymous by mistake.

Larry,

The looming fall garden chores were another source of pressure to scale back.

Ali,

Heh. You've got to stop feeding my Schadenfreude.

August 14, 2006 4:59 PM  
Blogger Kevin Carson said...

BTW, Moonbootica, thanks for all the traffic you've been sending over from the Atrios comments.

August 14, 2006 8:03 PM  
Blogger Kevin Carson said...

autocrat,

One of the nicest compliments ever--thanks!

Jeremy,

I've been playing around with Bloglines, and it's pretty handy.

August 15, 2006 5:32 PM  
Blogger buermann said...

Thanks for all the hard work Kevin. You're a boon to human discourse.

August 16, 2006 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home